Jan 08

Royal Icing Recipe {Free Illustrated Recipe}

royal_icing_recipe_full-590x1482

Good royal icing recipes are hard to come by, let alone magical ones. Treat your treats to this sublime icing recipe, passed down through generations of mythical fairies.

For a FREE, sharable, printable version: click here.

An alternate version was submitted and accepted on They Draw & Cook, which you can find here.

For instructions on finding icing consistency for cookie decorating, click here.

Thanks to my amazing designer/art director Arthur Kononuk, for creating this adorable illustrated recipe and intro for me! I love it and hope you do too.

p.s. I linked this post up to Tidy Mom’s I’m Lovin’ It.

1. Jodie Whitley
    January 8, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

This illustration is adorable! Thank you so much for sharing with us! Now, that fairy in the top corner *needs* to be a cookie!

2. January 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Lovely. Thank you so much for sharing!

3. January 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I love it! I was just printing a copy of the recipe and I’d rather have this adorable illustrated recipe! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Kristen Acosta
    January 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

How ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing (=

5. January 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

This really is magical! Love it!

6. January 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I love the way you post your recipes. I love the videos and everything you did up to now. Thank you so much for your precious instructions!!

7. January 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

So cute! I would love to see more of this:D

8. January 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Its really adorable and great info! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

9. January 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Too cute…so I HAD TO print it!! Thanks!

10. Maria
    January 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

ADORABLE!
    I love your great blog…

11. STACEY MCDONNELL
    January 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

LOVELY .IM SO PRINTING THIS NOT ONLY CAUSE I LOVE THIS RECIPE BUT ITS TOO DARN CUTE NOTTO PRINT IT. THANK YOU !!!! HOW VERY PRETTY THIS IS AND HOW SWEET OF YOU TO DO SO. ALL THINGS PRETTY AND SWEET VIA SWEETOPIA.NET!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID YOU GET MY LONG WINDED VERY OF THE SUBJECT OF WHAT I WAS REALLY TRYINGTO ASK YOU MESSAGE ON YOUR BLOG CAUSE FOR SOME REASON YOUR FB PAGE PRIVATE NOT SWEETOPIA WAS LOCKING UP ON ME? XOXOXOXSTACEY!!!!!

12. Lexy
    January 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I have always loved your blog but I’m going to ask if today’s recipe is available somewhere in “plain type” without the cutsey drawings? Your work is fabulous and I am always amazed. Thanks.

13. Lexy
    January 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Woops…..Sorry, I forgot that you have a “Recipe” link at the top of the page. Must be having a juvenile “Senior Moment”.

January 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

@ Jodie Whitley: I think so too! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for dropping by!
    @ Lesley,@ Kerry Pelton,@ Kristen Acosta, @ The Partiologist, @ Eftychia, @ Amy Midori, @ Daneilia, @ jane, @ Maria: Thanks for your comments! =)

Hi @ STACEY MCDONNELL: Absolutely! Please *DO* answer questions on my facebook page or elsewhere if you can – I *welcome* yours and others responses, as it always helps to have more feedback, perspectives etc. *Thank you* for responding! I did get your email but need to finish a few more things around the house before I go back and really give you a proper answer (you wrote such a nice, long email). Thanks for dropping by here too!

@ Lexy: There are two places:

or

15. January 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

So so adorable. Love the illustrated recipe. It’s magical!! xoxo

16. www tartaqsconimaginacion blogspot.com
    January 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

me gustaria mucho saver ingles pero se muy poco no se trabajar con roial icing me gustaria que alguin me explique algo de esto

17. julie
    January 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. This is adorable. I will print this and paste it on my refrigerator. LOVELY!!!

18. January 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

This is too cute! Congratulations to you and Arthur for having this accepted on They Draw and Cook and thank you for making it available to all of us. It’s a new royal icing recipe for me and I’m anxious to try it.

19. Kim
    January 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you for posting this ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m a newbie and need all the help I can get, especially from a fairy!!!

20. January 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Love this! This makes it look so simple and pretty Thanks for sharing it!

January 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

@ Cookbook Queen, @ www tartaqsconimaginacion blogspot.com, @ julie, @ Paula, @ Kim:
    @ Lily @ Sugar and Slice: Thank youuuu from Arthur and I!

22. Monica
    January 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I love that recipe, thats the one I use. THE BEST. thanks for sharing

23. January 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

This is my favorite royal icing recipe – very cute illustration! ๐Ÿ™‚

24. January 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Thanks for the illustration!

25. joann
    January 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Aw! Love it !! It came just in time. I m trying this recipe in a couple of days and I m such a visual person. It’s going up on the my kitchen wall next to the visual schedule you have for making cookies.
    Thanks !!!!

26. January 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

this is great! I always decorate my cookies but the icing seems to be strange and lumpy, this recipe is perfect

27. January 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Love the illustration! So pretty and fun!

January 8, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

@ Monica, @ Leah, @ Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar, @ joann, @ betty, @ Maria: We appreciate your feedback, thanks!

29. January 9, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Love it! Arthur did just a fabulous job! Looking forward to more recipes in the future! How about a book with all of your magical delights!?? Hint, hint!

30. January 9, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT, Arthur, you’re the man!

The recipe is AWESOME indeed, I tried it and I dont think theres need to try other ones :))
    Thanks so much for the printable – happy Monday everyone :-/

Much love Marian.. <3
    niner

31. Yvette
    January 9, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

OMG, love this illustrated recipe, cutest ever! One question, I’m in the US and don’t see packages of 2.25 powdered sugar….does anyone know the equivalent in cups? I’ve done a little research and some of the translations differ from one another. Please help!

32. January 9, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Great illustration thank you so much for sharing – however it is only printing 1 page – up to step one “add water + merignue powder” – and does not print the rest.

33. Sandra
    January 9, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I love it! Very pretty! Thank you for share all this sweet & pretty things!!! I can’t wait to arrive home and print it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you, thank you and thank you!!!!!

34. January 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I know you posted a recipe for doubling this-but is it possible to half this recipe? I found myself throwing away alot of icing this year ;0(.

January 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

@ CuteEverything, @ niner // sweet treats: Thanks girls!
    @ Yvette: I don’t know offhand. You’d think I’d have tried that by now. I will and when I do I will add a note to the post.

@ becky: Does anyone know how to help Becky with printer settings? Or has anyone else had the same issue? My printer printed it fine on one page, and it seems others here have as well.
    @ Sandra: Glad you like it!

@ Rebecca: Absolutely, you can halve it.

36. January 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

the cutest illustration ever! You make we want to go make a batch right now ๐Ÿ™‚

37. gladys
    January 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Love the illustration! So pretty and fun! Thanks for share.

38. Misty
    January 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian! I have enjoyed looking at all of your decorated cookies and reading your blogs now for the past two years. I was wondering if you could help me out with writing words with royal icing. It seems that when ever I pipe letters or perhaps a name, the a’s and b’s etc…run together and look like a blob or if I write “Thank You”, the smaller letters run together. I have tried thickening up my icing but the words never look as nice and neat as your’s do on your cookies. What is your secret?

Thanks so much!

39. Misty
    January 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

@ Yvette:I am thinking it would be 4 1/2 cups. 16 oz=1 lb. 8oz=1 cup. .25=1/4 lb. 1/4 lb.=4 oz.=1/2cup.

I hope this helps.

40. Misty
    January 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

@ becky: Hi Becky! Mine did the same thing. I cut and pasted the illustration on a blank word page. You will have to shrink the margins of the illustration. Then make the margins of your page smaller. Down to .02 or .01. This way it makes the illustration larger. I hope this helps!

41. January 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Fabulously sweet! This is great and I can totally see young bakers finding this appealing too.

42. January 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Oh, this is totally darling, Marian! ๐Ÿ™‚

43. January 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

I love the illustration. Just wondering, I have never used cream of tartar in my Royal Icing and would like to know its’ contribution.

Thanks!

44. January 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Complete adorableness..is this a word?! Can’t wait to try your recipe as I’ll be in the kitchen tomorrow..whoo hoo! ๐Ÿ™‚

45. Darcy
    January 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Great directions and cute! I use this recipe but without the cream of tartar. What does cream of tartar add to the recipe?

46. Yvette
    January 13, 2012 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Thanks Misty! I will try!
    @ Misty:

January 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

@ Darcy: The cream of tartar helps stabilize the icing; helps it dry faster and a tiny bit crunchier. I use quite a bit of it in my icing for gingerbread houses but you really will be fine if you don’t use any for your decorated cookie icing. All the best!

January 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

@ Amanda {Bluebird Cakes}: Oops, missed your question, sorry! Darcy just asked the same thing: The cream of tartar helps stabilize the icing; helps it dry faster and a tiny bit crunchier. I use quite a bit of it in my icing for gingerbread houses but you really will be fine if you donโ€™t use any for your decorated cookie icing. All the best!

49. Pamela
    January 14, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Thank you for your lovely website, videos, tutorials and general guidance. I am new to the cookie world so you are my online tutor :)). Thanks I was wondering if yo do any chocolate coating. If you do I need dome help. Is it okay to just heat the bakers chocolate without shortening? I ask because I tried to do a chocolate dipped cookie and after one day there were little white/grey spots and it looked dull. So maybe the shortening?
    The recipe called for 8 oz semisweet chocolate and 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening, and cooling in fridge for 20 minutes to set chocolate……….which I did , butthe next day :(……… grey spots help!

50. January 15, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Hi.. I do have egg white powder instead of meringue powder. Will this recipe work with that? I am so unsure if these 2 are the same..