Nov 11

Christmas Cake Pops

I have to start this post out by thanking Angie at Bakerella. If you haven’t heard of her, she is without a doubt, the queen of cake pops – having blogged for years as Bakerella and having published an excellent book on making cake pops. The instructions in her book are fantastic – she covers every detail from the basics on how to make cake pops of all kinds, down to how to ship and store them. I’m pretty sure she has played a major role in the cake pop craze sweeping the globe too!

Her book’s thorough instructions made these Christmas cake pops easy to make for the holiday issue of the LCBO’s Food and Drink magazine. (Yay! I was so happy to be asked to make the pops for them. Btw info. in index and photo on pg. 29).

lcbo-cake-pops-christmas-2011-590x437

If you haven’t seen Food & Drink, it’s a Canadian magazine dedicated to the art of entertaining, including the latest recipes and information on wine, spirits and beer. It’s a real treat for the eyes and is so inspiring – no matter what the season, it always manages to get me in the mood for trying new sweet and savoury dishes.

It’s a little early for Christmas, but since they were actually made in July, I’m happy to finally post them here.

All the pops were vanilla or chocolate with merckens candy coating. These above were dipped into sanding sugar and decorated with gum paste snowflakesand gum paste trees.

The milk chocolate pops were topped with gold flakes (If you’d like to read more info. on edible gold, please click here).

Some ‘snowier’ options included cake pops covered in coconut, white sanding sugar or candy cane bits.

Green gum paste used with this holly cutter, as well as white and red royal icing, turned these into a cake pop version of Christmas fruit cake.

And of course I enjoyed nibbling (okay chomping), on the ‘fruits’ of my labour.

Fun to make, delicious to eat and perfect little personalized gifts – hope you enjoy making cake pops this upcoming Christmas season too.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line in the comment section below, on Facebook or twitter.

1. November 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Get out of town, Marian, these are amazing! Congrats on being feature in the LCBO magazine. I love that mag, but of course I have to travel to Ont to find it. 🙁

November 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

@ Aimee @ Simple Bites: Aw, thanks Aimee! xo

3. November 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Love Angie’s site and her cake pops and love yours too!! They are adorable. Congratulations on being featured in Food and Drink.

4. November 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Love love your cake pops xo
    Happy 11.11.11 and Happy weekend
    Blessings

5. November 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Marian I love your new website it is amazing Congrats xo

6. November 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Wow! They are so pretty! I can tell just by the cover of the magazine I would love it! Congrats…and I love Christmas in July!

7. Carolyn F
    November 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on the Food & Drink spread!!! Very exciting! Great job as usual! Looking forward to seeing more holiday treats from you!

8. MamaGomes
    November 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

They look absolutly delish!!!

9. November 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

These are too cute!! Love them.

10. November 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

these look adorable

11. November 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

They are all sooo cute and wonderful photos too! Congrats on being featured, that is so exciting!

12. November 11, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Marian! Your cake pops are gorgeous! You’ve inspired me to try some this holiday season. 🙂

November 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

@ Cookbook Queen, @ Rowaida Fl, @ sweetiepetitti, @ Carolyn F, @ MamaGomes, @ danellesdish, @ snooky doodle, @ The Partiologist:
    @ Susan kulungian: Thanks so much!

14. November 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

congratulations!! I will have to get the hubby to stop by the store to grab this for me, I so want to see it in person!

November 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

@ sue: Thanks Sue! {It’s page 29, and info. in index at the back}.

16. November 11, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

too cute! Congrats on being “published ” 🙂
    Can I find it maybe on their website…since I’m not in Ontario..I’ll check!

17. November 12, 2011 at 12:00 am | Permalink

cute….love them!!!

18. November 12, 2011 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Beautiful cake pops! I love them, like everything you do.
    Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

19. November 12, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Those are so yummy I wish I could manage at last. I wanted to make some for the first birthday of my daughter, I shaped them Winnie the pooh, looked great til I stuck the stick it broke :S now I am affraid to make again, but would love to, especially for christmas time. Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful creations.

20. Lisa
    November 12, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Beautiful, I used to love reading and trying recipes from that magazine when I lived in KIngston, On. Sadly I live in Ireland now and can’t read it any longer. Great job on the pops.

21. November 12, 2011 at 4:01 am | Permalink

I am excited for Christmas now:)

22. November 12, 2011 at 5:31 am | Permalink

I love Christmas colours. Those pops look so cute!! Bravo, very nice work done!!

November 12, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

@ jane: I haven’t seen it on their website, sorry! Thanks for dropping by and commenting!
    @ Angie, @ Mari @ Mari’s Cakes: Thank you!
    @ Lisa: Ireland must be beautiful, lucky girl!
    @ Lightleaf Studio: Yes, these shapes were probably easier than a winnie the pooh cake pop. Good luck with your next ones!
    @ Maria, @ Eftychia: Thank you!

24. November 12, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

your cake pops are amazing, so cute!!! I’ll try to do my first cake pops for my son’s birthday in one week (circus theme)…
    Your work is amazing, I try to follow all your posts from Paris!!! Thank you for sharing with us all your tips and creations!

November 12, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

@ celine @ Le blog de Celinou: Thank you and all the best to you!

26. November 12, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Those are *spectacular* love! I actually “Ooooooo’ed and ahhhhhh’ed” out loud!

Congrats on being in the magazine!! How exciting!

27. November 12, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Oh wow…that is awesome, Marian! And you pops are gorgeous!!!

November 12, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

@ Wenderly,@ bridget {bake at 350}: Aw, thanks lovely ladies!

29. November 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

These are BEAUTIFUL!! I just came across your blog, and I’m excited to browse around after seeing these gorgeous cakepops! Keep it up.

30. November 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

yum!! these look so good. gorgeous and delicious, best combo!

November 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

@ Holly W, @ Paula: Thanks guys! I was happy to have Bakerella’s instructions to help me make them!

32. Nadine
    November 13, 2011 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Honestly, Marian. Is there anything you can’t do? The cake pops are gorgeous! I particularly love the “fruitcake” ones with the holly leaves. And congrats on the magazine–I’ll be sure to pick up a copy!

November 13, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

@ Nadine: You could do it too – really! The instructions in Bakerella’s book really helped! The pops are on pg. 29 with my info. in the index at the back btw.

34. November 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Lovely! I’ll have to stop by the LCBO and grab a copy (I love their magazine). I have the Bakerella book, but my first try was not very successful. I’ll definitely give it another go – they would make great holiday gifts. Thanks and congrats!!

35. November 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Just beautiful! Those pops make me want to pop out of my chair and grab one to eat. Brilliant!

36. November 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Wow! So beautiful…all of them! I just started playing around with cake pops lately…more flavor wise then anything else, But they are soooooo much fun…I keep thinking of all the fun Christmas designs I can make…and now I want to start now….great job as always! Congrats on the magazine!!!

37. November 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I’ve made some cake pops today inspired by yours and they did not look as great as yours; I guess it’s because it was the first time ever I used fondant to decorate food, but I’m so happy they looked a little bit like yours! lol
    Thank you for so lovely inspiration 🙂

November 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

@ Asmita: Thanks! They were tasty.. hope you try making some. 🙂

@ Mighty Morgan: They are fun to eat too, aren’t they. Bites of cake on a stick – what could be better!? Have fun baking!

@ Marcela – cup.cake.pop: Oh, please do share if you like! Here’s a spot on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Sweetopia
    Would love to see your creations! xo

39. November 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Marian, is there anything you can’t do? I made cake pops for Halloween, and I about went through the ceiling! Congrats! You are amazing and have more talent than I ever will! Wish I could hire you for my yearly Halloween party treats!!

November 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

@ Carrie Funk: I really can’t take credit… I don’t have a lot of experience with cake pops – Bakerella’s book is what made the difference… just followed it to the ‘t’. Have you seen her book?

41. November 14, 2011 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Yayyyyy! Finally :))
    IT SEEMS early but actually, people are already searching for christmas desserts so I am sure it’s great you posted it now 🙂
    I LOVE your Cake Pops, so great to see…You are just great in everything you do!

MUCH LOVE SWEETIE
    niner

42. November 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

We regularly get every edition of this beautiful magazine and going through it is one of my favourite leisurely past-times. This is the first time I realized that they do not credit the contributors 🙁 Congratulations Marian on having your cake pops (amazing) and your trifle (delicious) featured in the Holiday edition! How awesome that your trifle was the cover photo!!! I noticed both of them of course and never gave thought to who might have made them until I saw this post!

43. Marian
    November 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

@ niner // We Choose Organic // sweet treats: Thanks so much for your support lovely Niner!

@ Paula: Yes, the website and Sweetopia’s information are in the index (3rd page from the back).
    I *wish* I could take credit for the pretty trifle, but it’s not mine- I just made the cake pops.
    Thanks so much for visiting – I know how busy you are! Xo

44. Diana
    November 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous pictures! Congrats on the magazine feature!

45. Darlita
    November 14, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Congrats on the magazine feature!! You do such beautiful work…they’re too pretty to eat:)

November 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

@ Diana, @ Darlita: Many thanks!

47. bubble&squeak
    November 15, 2011 at 6:00 am | Permalink

As usual, beautiful cake work, Marian! So pretty. It’s no wonder you’re being feted by Food & Drink. You’re an inspiration!
    You make Cake Pops look so easy. I was too lazy to use cake and made Cake Balls out of Oreos and Cream Cheese but the dipping part was the hardest. The chocolate got everywhere and my cake balls were far from round. I’ve been too scared to make cake pops using cake and frosting since.
    Do you recommend, for us Cake Pop amateurs, using from-scratch frosting or can frosting? I know Bakerella recommends can frosting because it limits the variables.
    Thanks!

48. November 15, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Every cake pop you have made is simply wonderful!!

49. November 15, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

@ bubble&squeak: Thank you for your kind words =) but I’m really not an expert on pops (having only made them a few times lol. I was worried about the shape first, and actually looked into getting sphere-shaped molds, but they come in halves, and getting the cake pop to stay in one piece, after adhering two pieces together and then inserting a stick, would be too tricky! Mine didn’t end up perfectly round, but a little rustic is okay I think. Maybe Bakerella has more advice on that? In terms of recipe, I did use the frosting and cake mix, as she recommended, as I didn’t want to start experimenting with little experience. Hope that helps!

@ Francesca: Thanks!

50. Chris
    November 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

HI- I’m a HUGE Bakerella fan, and your’s too. I’m also a HUGE Food & Drink fan, and can’t wait for each new issue when it comes out. So last week when it came out, I ran down to the LCBO to pick up my copy and totally honed in on the cakepops. I wish I’d known they were yours. Congrats on being featured!