Oct 28

Halloween Edible Image Cookies

Embellishing cookies with edible images is a such quick and easy way of decorating cookies.

I love the look of these printables by The TomKat Studio. If you haven’t seen her site yet by the way, it’s an amazing collection of party ideas and inspiration.

To make these, you’ll need a cookie recipe of your choice, such gingerbread or sugar cookies.

You’ll also need:

Making Halloween Image Cookies:

Once you’ve made your cookies & made and colored your royal icing, you’re ready to decorate:

Step 1: Outline cookie with white royal icing using a #2 piping tip.

Step 2: Fill in or flood your cookie using the same piping tip.

You can outline and fill in right away, or do all your outlines first, then go back and flood the cookie.

Here’s a little secret – I don’t worry about how neat my edges are too much because I know I’m going to cover them with an icing border.

Step 3: Let your icing dry (12-24 hours).  The best way to see if they’re completely dry is to put an extra cookie aside which you can test by biting into the cookie or pressing with the tip of your finger.

*{Note: You can apply the wafer paper or frosting sheets to wet icing as well.  This method is quicker and not as sticky, however, sometimes the edges curl up a bit.  Buuut, if you’re doing a nice thick icing border that may cover the curling up}.

Step 4: Cut the edible ink image out right before you’re ready to use it.

Step 5: With a paintbrush only used for this purpose, apply a thin layer of clear corn syrup to the surface of the dry icing.

Step 6: Peel the backing from the frosting sheet and place the Halloween image onto the cookie.

Step 7: Adhere image to cookie by gently pressing from the centre and outwards.

Step 8: Thicken your white royal icing by adding icing sugar. You’re looking for the icing to form a peak when you put a spoon in it and pull upwards.

Step 9: Colour some of the icing green and some orange.

Step 10: Use a #16 star tip to pipe a shell border.

That’s it!  Serve as is or let them dry and package in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon.

A huge thanks to the lovely Niner of We Choose Organic for helping me with the photos!

Happy Halloween!

1. October 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

ADORABLE!

2. October 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Oh these are just too adorable for words! (Put a printer and supplies on my wishlist for Christmas) Thanks to you I see the world in cookies now!

3. October 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

These look fabulous..almost too good to eat. I love the way the printed sheets look on a cookie :)

4. October 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Ohhh yes I definitely need to get a printer too and make these cookies!
    Kim’s work is amazing, teamed up with sweet Marian: even more amazing!! I love the idea of these cookies and it’s not too late, a couple of days left until Halloween :-) )

LOVELY POST, Marian!!
    much love..niner :-)

5. MARIANA
    October 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

HI MARIAN!
    AMAZING!!!!! I’M IN LOVE WITH THESE COOKIES

I STARTED DECORATING COOKIES BECAUSE OF YOU

I`M MARIANA FROM MEXICO!!!

VIVA SWEETOPIA!!!!

October 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

@ Sue, @ Jennifer, @ Mighty Morgan, @ niner // We Choose Organic – sweet treats: Thank you!

@ MARIANA: I’m so glad you started decorating cookies too! And *love* your name. ;-)

7. Kimmie
    October 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

I could have used these for my get together tomorrow night! Oh they are gorgeous as usual!

8. October 29, 2011 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Love these colors together for Halloween the bright green borders are so striking. Lovely work.

9. October 29, 2011 at 5:35 am | Permalink

wow, what kind of printer you use for this? and what kind of supplies where i could get them from? i have to make this cookies, they are too cute!!

10. October 29, 2011 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Beautiful cookies! Very beautiful!!

11. October 29, 2011 at 6:36 am | Permalink

fantastic!!!!!

12. judy
    October 29, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Your cookies are amazing. Love them

13. October 29, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Absolutely adorable…another great post…thanks so much for sharing!

14. October 29, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I love this design! I would have never thought it was so simple to do. Thank you so much for sharing!

15. October 29, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

These are so cute – would love to use printables on cookies!

16. Francesca
    October 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

So unbelieveably beautiful. I love your creativity and ideas. Thank you for sharing your lovely cookies.

17. Giorgia
    October 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian, your work is sooo amazing! I follow you from Italy and I think you’re the best cookies’ decorator that I’ve ever seen! Sorry if my english is wrong, however keep it up, good job! :)

18. October 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian,

I’d like to get your advise regarding edible printer.
    I would like to buy one but don’t really know what to choose?

What are the bset? What are the most important parameters to consider for a benchmark?

Thanks for your help….

Regards
    Sabrina

October 30, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Sabrina, I’ve tried a few brands between work and home, and have found they all work well. Kind of comparable to regular printers – most of them do a find job of printing. Kopykake and Icing Images seem to be the most popular brands though (most well known?), from what I hear when I chat with others who also do edible ink images.

19. October 30, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Are beautiful! I love them all.

20. Mimi
    November 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian!! Love your cookies! why you don’t “stick” your edible image with a little royal icing directly on the cookie? It’ll be more simple, no? (i’m french, sorry for my english). Thank you!! xx

21. November 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

@ Mimi: Absolutely, I put this in the post above:

*{Note: You can apply the wafer paper or frosting sheets to wet icing as well. This method is quicker and not as sticky, however, sometimes the edges curl up a bit. Buuut, if you’re doing a nice thick icing border that may cover the curling up}.

22. Mimi
    November 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

@ Marian (Sweetopia):
    Merci merci and oups, sorry… xx

23. November 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

You’re such an inspiring person. Thank you very much. I love your neatness.

24. November 4, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

@ Sabrina Bordenave:
    Hi Sabrina,
    How to choose an edible printer:
    While I own Icing Images, I am biased, but I am also honest. The information contained herein is based upon my experience and knowledge. I built my business based on quality products and quality service so in that light, let me begin.
    To buy…or not:
    First, if you are not going to use your printer about once per week, don’t get one. It will not be a worthwhile investment. Many companies offer edible printing and will ship the images to you.
    Choosing your printer:
    Canon vs. Epson: We prefer and sell only Canon printers. We prefer Canon because it has a removable print head. The largest problem associated with edible printing is print head clogs. While developments in ink have decreased this problem, when you put edible ink in a print head, it does not contain the toxic additives that regular inks have to reduce this problem. But, again, developments in our inks have reduced this problem dramatically. If you do get a clog in a printer, and you cannot get it out using the methods available within the printer itself, you have to clean the print head manually. You cannot do this with an Epson as the print head does not come out. THIS IS THE MAIN REASON WE CHOOSE CANON. You can remove the Canon print head and manually clean it or even replace it.
    Which Canon printer?
    There are several options. Always makes sure that your printer is compatible if you do not buy it from an edible printing company. All the Canon printers work with PC or Mac.
    1. There are standard printers that print up to 8.5×13.75” sheets and must be attached to your computer. You would use your own scanner or memory disk in your computer. Then you would just print the picture…just like printing regular printers.
    2. There are printer/scanner combos or standalone systems. Which are just that, you can scan and print directly on the icing sheet without manipulation or you can scan in to your computer, manipulate the picture…or not and then print. These printers print up to 8.5×11 when they are not interfaced with a computer or 8.5×13.75 when interfaced with your PC or Mac.
    3. There are New Canon wide format printers which print the 11.75×16.75” icing sheets! They must be hooked to your computer.
    Choosing your ink:
    Several years ago, we came out with a sponge free cartridge. We found this to be an amazing development in edible printing for many reasons.
    1. No sponge. The sponge in the cartridge can collect bacteria. So ink manufacturers would put alcohol in the ink to prevent the growth. Alcohol was found to burn out print heads prematurely. The sponge takes up about 2/3’s of the physical space in the cartridge. Take out the sponge, increase the ink. Tests that I have personally run have shown that we were able to get about 20 more prints before the color runs out! The sponge free cartridge is made of food grade plastics. Kosher, FDA Compliant & made in the US!
    2. Easily and cleanly refill directly in the printer. Refilling is cost effective..but not guaranteed. It is not for everyone. But it saves a lot of money. While it is easy to do, you must follow the instructions. Since the sponge free cartridges are refilled directly in the printer, the mess is minimal!
    5.Choosing your icing sheet:
    There are several different brands available. I will discuss all that I have personally handled. We sell three different types of icing sheets because people swear by all of them! What is an icing sheet? An icing sheet or frosting sheet is made of sugar and it merges in to the icing. While it merges, it does not become the icing. You will find that there are also potato based papers and rice or wafer papers which are made out of potato and rice. These are a bit thicker and chewier and people will generally peal them off before eating. There are also chocolate transfer sheets which are used exclusively with chocolates and candy.
    1. Our house brand: is a thinner icing sheet and they have a margin around them of about a half of an inch giving them a printable area of approximately 7.5×10” give or take. Because our house brand is the thinnest it will be the most likely to crack or fall off the backing in dry weather. Transversely, in high humidity, it will also be harder to remove. Our house brand is very similar to all other brands available by other manufacturers except Lucks and our Premium brand.
    2. Lucks: our second most popular brand we sell. It is the same icing sheet that you see in the stores on the preprinted sheets. These are a very good choice, we have sold it for years and it has the 7.5×10” printable area.
    3. Premium: This is by far our most popular icing sheet and the newest to the world of icing sheets. At shows, if I want to convince someone to switch, all I have to do is put it in their hand. Usually when I hand it to them it has been sitting out of its package all day. They are able to bend it and flex it and roll it and it stays intact. It has the largest printable area of 8.5×10.75”, tastes great and features our easy peel backing. They come in many different sizes and in precut circles and squares. Our new iiPrint and iiDesign software have been specifically designed to work with the Premium icing sheets. Premium sheets Because of their flexibility, they have become very popular in the electronic cutting arena and by popular demand we now have them available in colored sheets as well!
    I hope this information is helpful to you. I will always be glad to answer questions for you to the best of my abilities. Feel free to call my office any time at 888-442-4648 and we will be glad to assist you.

November 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

@ Debbie Coughlin: Thank you very much for sharing the detailed information!

26. sammie
    January 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

hi. what does a wafer paper cookie taste like?

January 23, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Hi @ sammie: Gosh that’s hard to explain. Kind of like lightly sweet paper if that makes sense! I would advise trying a bit if you can get your hands on a small amount (I’m guessing not if you’re here though…lol), and decide for yourself if you like it.

28. September 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Hi, i’ve been reading your posts for a long time, and just wanted to say how inspiring i find them. The attention to every detail, the esthetics – it’s simply my favorite :)

29. Cali
    September 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Here’s a great wafer paper design selection on Etsy.com ! http://www.queenoftartswafers.etsy.com

September 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks @ Cali!

31. Kristen
    September 27, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Any tips on getting the image off of it’s backing paper? I had my local bakery (Giant Supermarket) print some edible images for me (at $12 a page!) and it was a disaster. I could not get the images off of the film backing. They would rip, tear, smush together. I ended up frustrated and wasted all that money too! I really want to give these types of cookies a try….nice for difficult character orders, or for cookies that need to be extra crisp for a special occasion. Help/advice much appreciated!

October 2, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Kristen: If you gently flick the corners of the image you’re working on, that helps the two layers separate. It’s still finicky sometimes though, sorry to say! I hope your next experience is better, if you try. It really does get easier with a little practice too btw. xo

33. Debbie
    December 9, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, may I know from your experience, which edible icing sheets do you prefer using, between Kopykake and IcingImages? Thanks

34. September 1, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Put yourself in your wife’s shoes. If she stopped telling you that she loved you, wouldn’t you begin to have doubts as to the http://www.dadicar.fr/Nike-Tn-Requin-Pas-Cher-s1959.html stability of your marriage?

1. [...] images printed onto frosting sheets using an edible ink printer with food colouring cartridges and adhered them to sugar cookies coated in royal [...]

2. [...] images printed onto frosting sheets using an edible ink printer with food colouring cartridges and adhered them to sugar cookies coated in royal icing. [...]

3. [...] I forgot to get a picture of this step). 8.  Place the picture on the cookie.  I followed this blog, however, I was in a time crunch!  I simply cut the picture out and carefully set it on the [...]

4. By a NEW hobby | Explore New-ness on September 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm

[...] Eventually, I’d like to be able to make these beauties like Marian from Sweetopia! [...]

5. By Redpath Sugar Cookies | Sweetopia on September 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

[...] Here’s a tutorial on edible ink images [...]

6. [...] Take this pumpkin cookie I made for The TomKat Studio last Halloween: [...]

7. By Easy Decorated Cookies for Halloween | Sweetopia on October 6, 2013 at 6:03 pm

[...] Edible Ink Image Cookies [...]