Oct 24

Decorated Halloween Cookies

If someone would have said to me when I was a child, “Marian, you’re going to see the world in decorated cookies when you get older”, I would have, first of all, not understood what they meant, and second of all, once I did understand, not believed them.

But, it’s true. Wherever I go, whatever I see, be it clothing, stickers, scrapbooking paper, posters, ads, whatever… I imagine what it might look like as a decorated cookie. Probably a bit of unique passion, but if you’re reading this, you might feel somewhat the same.

I’d already picked out which Halloween design I was going make for my step-daughter, until I saw these. Halloween characters by My Mind’s Eye scrapbooking paper {blackbird collection by Deena Rutter}. I knew I had to turn them into cookies.

Whimsical, fun and easy to use with a Kopykake projector as the outlines are already distinct.

If you’d like to make these, I’ve shared a step-by-step tutorial for each cookie below:

How to Make Decorated Halloween Cookies

You will need:

• Sugar Cookie Recipe here or Gingerbread Recipe here.
  • Royal Icing Recipe here.
  • My Mind’s Eye Blackbird Paper
  • Edible Frosting Sheets & Edible Ink Printer and Food Coloring Cartridges (or ask your local bakery to print them for you)
  • Clear Corn Syrup
  • Paintbrush or Foam Brush
  • Piping Tips (#2, star tip #16)
  • Couplers
  • Piping Bags
  • Food Gel Colourings
  • Kopykake projector  (Im not skilled at drawing so need to use a Kopykake projector to trace the images)

Instructions

Cut cookie shapes and bake. The size can be determined by you. My cookie sizes were as follows; pumpkins (2 inch/5 cm circles), medium rectangles (3 by 5 inches/7.5 by 12.7 cm) and large rectangle (4 by 7.5 inches/10 by 19 cm).

How to Make the Witch, Frankenstein and Batboy Cookies

Step One: For the background of all the rectangular cookies, I used the  My Mind’s Eye Blackbird Paperbeige and orange, argyle scrapbooking paper and printed it onto frosting sheets. You’ll need to to scan and print onto frosting sheets using an edible ink printer. If you only have a few images to print and don’t want to invest in a printer and edible ink cartridges, check your local bakery shop to see if they can print a few sheets for you. Where I live, the Sobey’s grocery store prints them for $10.00 per sheet.

Step Two: Using a #2 piping tip, outline and flood your cookies with white royal icing. Let your icing dry (12-24 hours).

Step Three: With a paintbrush only used for this purpose, apply a thin layer of clear corn syrup to the surface of the dry icing. Peel the backing from the frosting sheet and place onto the cookie. Adhere image to cookie by gently pressing from the centre and outwards.

Step Four: Outline your shape using a #2 piping tip and black royal icing. You can find tips on piping royal icing in see my cookie decorating tutorial or YouTube videos.

Step Five: Flood or fill in your outlines. Let dry 6-12 hours or more. How long depends on the humidity of your environment. Then add the next layer of icing details. Pictorials for each cookie follow so you can see the steps for each cookie.

Witch Cookie

Frankenstein Cookie

Batboy Cookie

Step Six: Thicken purple royal icing enough so that the icing forms a stiff peak when you dip a spoon in it and pull upwards.

Step Seven:  Using a #16 star tip, pipe a shell border.

Step Eight: Serve as is or let them dry and package in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon.

How to Make Pumpkin Decorated Cookies

Step One: Using a #2 piping tip, outline and flood your cookies with white royal icing. Let your icing dry (12-24 hours).

Step Two: Outline your shape using a #2 piping tip and black royal icing. You can find tips on piping royal icing in see my cookie decorating tutorial or YouTube videos.

Step Three: Fill or flood your pumpkin outline using a #2 tip and orange icing. The consistency of the icing is key. For a how-to on how to find the right consistency, please see this video here.

Step Four: Pipe the top layers of detail, letting the icing dry in between each stage. (See pictorial below for decorating steps).

Step Five: Serve as is or let them dry and package in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon.

And you’re done!

It was so amazing to see my step-daughter’s face when I gave her the cookies. I think her eyes were bigger than the eyes of the characters on the cookies. Such a great feeling!

Thanks to Niner of We Choose Organic and my web designer Arthur, for helping me with photos and to those of you on my Facebook page who gave me your input on what colour of border I should do, thank you!

Just a quick note about the Sweet of the Week. A new contest isn’t up this week because the contest is undergoing some new and fun changes. For example, you’ll be able to upload your own photos soon! Watch out for more details so that you can enter!

If you have any questions or comments, please drop me a line below and come join me on facebooktwitter, or youtube.

Have a Happy Halloween!

1. October 26, 2011 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Too cute!

2. October 26, 2011 at 2:42 am | Permalink

Those are AMAZING!

3. October 26, 2011 at 3:27 am | Permalink

These are INSANELY incredible!! If someone would have told me when I was little that one of my “idols” would be a cookie decorator, I would have laughed :) You combine 2 of my favorite things, scrapbooking & cookie decorating! You are outstanding!! :)

4. October 26, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

the witch and the pumkins are soooo cute….AND EVRYTHING ELSE !!!

5. October 26, 2011 at 3:48 am | Permalink

WOW, I adore all your creations, you are such an inspiration.

6. Jenny
    October 26, 2011 at 3:55 am | Permalink

I love these! They are so cute.

7. October 26, 2011 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Que trabalho maravilhoso!!

8. October 26, 2011 at 4:46 am | Permalink

You are astounding. I love them!

9. October 26, 2011 at 5:36 am | Permalink

@ Tammy and @ sandie: Thanks so much!

@ Amber:Wow, that’s quite the compliment. So sweet (and funny at the same time!). Btw, scrapbooking paper is out of this world adorable, fun, creative… a whole new world isn’t it! Do you have a favourite brand/line?
    @ aiesha, @ Inma Miranda, @ lizangela, @ angela: Thank you! Gracias!

10. October 26, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Adorable little characters! I have a question. . . I always apply my edible images/frosting sheets directly to my royal icing when it is wet. Is there a reason you use the corn syrup method? Thanks for all your inspiration.

11. October 26, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

@ Kelley Hart: Oh I forgot to mention that! (I have in other posts here and there). You can completely put the image on when the icing is wet. I just found that the corners curled up a bit by the time it was dry. I like the flat look of putting it on with corn syrup when the icing is dry.

12. October 26, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

@ Tammy:
    I know! They are all simply PERFECT!!! She doesn’t make cookies, she paints pictures!

As always, STUNNING!!!

13. Heidi
    October 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

I just, I don’t even know what to say, everytime I look at your site, I realize everything that can be done on a cookie, and I still can’t believe it! Bravo!!!!

14. GarEli
    October 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

HERMOSO
    Gracias!!

15. October 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

All of these cookies look amazing!!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial, you always provide such clear and precise instructions on how to make the cookies!! Love the look of the new site as well!!!

16. Nancy Guzman
    October 27, 2011 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Hi Marian. I’m new to your site. (I stumbled across your youTube channel yesterday and soon after made my way to your beautiful site) Let me tell you, I’m already a BIG fan of your work! You are sooo detailed in explaining your work- thank you for that!! And the KopyKake post was amazing! you have inspired me to start cookie decorating. Just bought the last of my supplies last night and am now anxious awaiting for the weekend to arrive so I can have my first go at cookie decorating :)

October 27, 2011 at 1:52 am | Permalink

@ Nancy Guzman:Oh, that’s so wonderful! Make sure you check out the cookie decorating tutorial, the consistency video and top 10 tips post before you start. My first experiences decorating cookies were a bit frustrating, and had I known those tricks, it would have been much easier. A little practice helps too, but I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun! Don’t hesitate to ask should you have any questions!
    @ Laura @ GotChocolate: Mwah! Not perfect, but thank you!
    @ Heidi, @ GarEli, @ Mighty Morgan: Many thanks!

18. October 27, 2011 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Gorgeous cookies. Little works of art! Happy Halloween!

19. Heather
    October 27, 2011 at 5:06 am | Permalink

These are seriously adorable!!!!

20. October 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I love them:) I got a printer this year and love how these use both piping and the paper.

21. Judy
    October 27, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Love them! So cute!

22. October 28, 2011 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Sweeeeet! Will have to do some last minute baking! Will post a link with the final result ;)

October 28, 2011 at 3:59 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone!
    @ Nico @ kunstgras: Please do share! I love to see what others make. xo

24. October 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

These cookies are fabulous! What a great idea to use an edible image as a background. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next. Your revamped site is great by the way!

25. Isabel
    October 28, 2011 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!

AMAZING decorated cookies!!! I write you from Spain (sorry if my english is not too good…) and I really got in love with your Halloween Cookies, they are so cute!!!

I’ll try to bake some for my children.

Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

26. MARIANA
    October 28, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I m ur biggest fan ! U are amazing these cookies are the best.I wish i could make them. Sorry about my english i am from Mexico and your cookies are my inspiration.

Me encantan, son fantasticas, las adoro, se ven esquisitas.

27. October 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Sooo cute!! I LOVE your cookies!

28. Gladys Santos
    October 29, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

That is so cute and sweet. Congratulation.

29. October 31, 2011 at 3:54 am | Permalink

So cute! thanks for sharing.

30. November 1, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!
    I’ve got such a story to tell you. When I saw your pumpkin cookies I was so delighted, and immediately showed them to my mom. And she wished to have a chance and make them! After a few ours I received a call from my dance teacher, who asked me to make some Halloween cookies for our party. :) Guess what we made. I was “Mom, be careful what you wish for.” :)
    You can see the result here – https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=212286955511544&set=a.198088823598024.49223.163428730397367&type=3&theater

November 1, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

@ Svetleto: You did an amazing job!!! Yay!!

32. November 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Actually I didn’t tell you all the story. Here in Bulgaria we don’t have ready to use icing, and the caster sugar isn’t fine enough, so I made everything from sugar paste. The base I just roll and cut. For the other parts I used it thinned with some vodka. :)

November 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

@ Svetleto: Great creative thinking!! Congrats!!

34. November 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Stunning as always!! I could never have the patience to make your gorgeous creations but I always love seeing what you come up with. Hope you’re well! xoxo

35. Jody Senna
    November 10, 2011 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Hello Marian,
    These cookies are adorable! I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your tutorials. I have a question about adding two colors side-by-side to a cookie. In your “Cookie Decorating Tutorial” you say that you if you pipe a dark color for the outline, you wait 24 hours to flood the center with a lighter color icing. Did you do that with these cookies also? Or if I’m flooding two colors right next to each other (like the mane of your little lions on your “How To Color Royal Icing Black” tutorial – do you wait a few minutes before you add the second color?
    Thank you for your help – your recipes, photos and videos have helped me tremendously!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Jody

36. November 10, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

love your creativity ! so colorful :-)

November 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

@ Jody Senna: That’s exactly right – I waited for 24 hours for the outline to dry and then flooded the centres. Technically you could wait 6-12 hours – It depends on the humidity of the environment, and in my case, I had to wait until I got home from work the next day. ;-) (It’s a pretty dry climate where I am now). For the mane of the lion, I did wait an hour or so between those two colours. If they were darker colours, I would have waited 6-24 hours (again depending on humidity). You could technically wait a few minutes, but I guess I just play it safe and decorate other things (or clean or whatever lol), while I’m waiting.
    Sorry it took me so long to answer this, I didn’t see it until now.

@ Shruti | A Spoonful of Yumm: Thanks!

38. Jody Senna
    November 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    Marian, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply – I can tell you’re a super busy lady! I really appreciate all that I’ve been able to learn from your tutorials and videos. Thanks again!
    Jody

November 20, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

@ Jody Senna: My pleasure, I love to help if I can! xo

40. November 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Where do you get your edible inks from? I keep seeing them online and then I read reviews of so many places not being legit and it being scams. Odd really. Wondering where you get yours?

November 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

@ Jennifer Paul Gibson: No problem, Jennifer. From KopyKake or Icing Images.com

42. November 30, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

@ marian:Thank you so much!

43. Maryanne
    July 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

This is the first time I am using frosting sheets on my royal icing cookies I am very nervous as I purchased them and can’t afford any mistakes. So many sites say to apply to wet royal is that safe? Can I cut the sheets with a scissor.

July 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Maryanne: Yes, you can put it on wet icing. The reason why I personally don’t is because I find the edges curl up during the drying process, so, it’s a little more work to wait, add an extra step and adhere them with corn syrup, but most of time I wait.
    If you’re doing a thick shell border, you could cover the ‘curling up’ with the icing.
    All the best, Maryanne!

45. September 23, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Beautiful cookies! I love how you give such detailed tutorials. I am new to cookie decorating and am loving it!

1. By HALLOWEEN ROUND-UP…. « i make cakes… on October 26, 2011 at 10:31 am
  2. [...] Decorated Halloween cookies from Sweetopia [...]

3. By Fall Favorite Cupcake & Cookie Ideas | Sweetopia on September 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm

[...] Pumpkin Decorated Cookies [...]

4. [...] par de ideas que tener a mano: unas galletas muy facilitas, como para hacer con los niños. y estas otras, que me parecen muy graciosas, me recuerdan a la [...]

5. [...] This way, everybody gets a treat, & only YOU know the true trick! (GENIUS, RIGHT?). Here’s the recipe. [...]