Jan 16

Interview with Louise Dueholm of Cake Journal

She’s a leader in the cake blog world, a talented cake, cupcake & cookie decorator, a mom and soon-to-be cake decorating teacher.  If you haven’t already seen her site, let me introduce you to Louise Dueholm of CakeJournal.com

With fans all around the world looking forward to her next tutorials and creations, Louise keeps us charmed with every post she makes.  Her topics include everything from cupcake basics to gumpaste toppers, fondant and royal icing cookie decorating, cake basics and assembly to how to make a cake stand.

Interview with Louise Winther Dueholm of CakeJournal.com

Marian: Louise, I’m so excited to be interviewing you!  I love your site and the sugar masterpieces you create!

People associate you with cake decorating and baking, rightfully; but I actually think of you also as a style person.  Your ‘sugar work’ has this clean and chic style all your own.  I love the pale colors you use, and the sweet charm every piece you make seems to have.

Where do you find your inspiration?

Louise: Thank you Marian, I find my inspiration from a lot of different places. It can be anything from home decoration shops, fabrics, (cake) magazines to wedding and craft blogs.

Marian: How or why did you get started in blogging?

Louise: It was actually my brother who came up with the idea back in 2007 that I should start writing a cake blog. He thought of it as a great way for me to show and share my passion for cake decoration. “Blogging” was a whole new world to me and my only concern was that he suggested that I should write the blog in English and not Danish. It was a bit of a challenge for me at the start but now I don’t think so much about it anymore. The name “CakeJournal” was in fact his suggestion.

Marian: How would you describe your site to new readers?

Louise: CakeJournal, is a site/blog where you can see my cake decorations. You can also learn how to make different kind of cake decorations and non-edible cake crafts by following my tutorials. You can also read about my favourite cake tools that I like to use.

Marian: Any words of advice for cake decorators who are new to cake decorating?

Louise: Just throw yourself into the icing, keep practicing, don’t give up when things goes wrong. Cake decorating is so much fun!

Marian: What is your number one amazing spectacular tip? (Question submitted on Sweetopia facebook page by Courtney Callan).

Louise: That you can create a domed cupcake by changing the way you mix the cupcake batter.

Marian: What new cake decorating tools or equipment are you excited about lately?

Louise: I really love the new silicone mould “Tea time treats 1 + 2” with cakes and cupcakes from Squires Kitchen. I think that will be my next purchase.

Marian: What’s the biggest challenge you’ve ever had?  You make creating cake/cupcake decorations look sooooo easy!  (Question submitted on Sweetopia facebook page by Cat Beurnier).

Louise: Making my own weddingcake 8 years ago. That was before I gotten my hands into icing.

Marian: Besides your blog of course, what book(s)/other sources do you recommend for people who want to learn more about gumpaste/fondant decorations? (Question from Sweetopia facebook page reader Cat Beurnier).

Louise: The blogs; Extra Icing on the cake and The Cakerator, has some great online tutorials for amazing figure modeling, flowers and cakes.  Offline; Peggy Porschen, Zoe Clark, Eliza Strauss, Ron-Ben Israel and Wendy Kromer.

Marian: Would you be able to pick your favourite tutorial/cake/cupcake or cookie from Cake Journal?

Louise: I have a lot of favourites but if I have to pick one it would be the 3 tier “cake” that I made for the Scandinavian Cake Show in Sweden back in 2008.

Marian: Louise, thank you for taking the time to be interviewed for Sweetopia!  As a huge fan as well, it was an honor!

Exciting news to share as well – Besides being able to learn from CakeJournal.com’s lessons on cakes, cupcakes and cookies, Louise will soon be delving into the off-line world of cake decorating as well!   Information on classes will be posted to her site soon.

I’m thinking I need to add taking a class from her to my bucket list.  ;-)

Now, my question for you – Please let me know in the comment section or on my facebook page here, who you’d like to see featured here next.

Happy decorating!

1. January 16, 2011 at 1:00 am | Permalink

This is so sweet! I love both you and Louise! =)

It’s kinda hard to think who I want to be featured next… ;) Bridget and Callye has already done guest posts..so maybe Glory from Glorious Treats? =) You guys are the the cookie queens! =)

January 16, 2011 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Great idea Anna!

2. Hannah
    January 16, 2011 at 2:58 am | Permalink

What about Amanda of i am baker?

January 16, 2011 at 3:05 am | Permalink

Love her too – another great idea!

4. January 16, 2011 at 5:29 am | Permalink

What about Petalsweets http://petalsweet.blogspot.com/ – Love her flowers or Andrea Sweetcakers (but she doesn’t have a blog though)?

January 16, 2011 at 5:58 am | Permalink

@ Bobie:
    Oh I hadn`t heard of either of them; both do stunning work!

6. January 16, 2011 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Great post! I love Louise’s style, she does an awesome job sharing her techniques and tips. I also love your style too, Marian! You are both great :)

Have a great weekend.

7. linda
    January 16, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

wonderful, wonderful post & so inspiring.
    thank you so much marian!

8. January 16, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Fabulous interview! Thanks for introducing me to a wonderful decorating blogger.

9. January 16, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Wow! I was just sitting here eating my breakfast and enjoying this article when my name popped off the screen. Thanks so much Marion for asking my questions and Louise, thank you for providing such wonderful resources for fondant/sugarpaste tutorials. I live in France where there are really no American-style cake decorating schools and so a lot of what I do is learned by trial and experiment!

I would also love to see an interview with Jacqueline from Petal Sweet who I just discovered over the holidays. Glory of Glorious Treats, Vanessa of Bella Cupcakes (http://www.bellacupcakes.co.nz/) or Natasha of Nevie-Pie Cakes (http://www.neviepiecakes.com/)

Thanks again for a great read and Happy Sunday!

10. January 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Great post! love her blog very informative.

January 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

@ Mari’s Cakes:
    She does do an amazing job sharing her tips and techniques. Thanks Mari!

@ linda:
    My pleasure; I was glad for the opportunity to interview Louise.

@ Jade:
    No problem, glad I could introduce you to a fantastic cake, cupcake & cookie (and more really) maker and blogger.

@ Cat:
    Thanks for the great suggestions and for the contributing some of the interview questions. =)
    Happy Sunday to you as well!

@ Rowaida Flayhan:
    Thanks for commenting!

12. January 17, 2011 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Very nice interview, I like both!
    Please, i would certainly interview from:
    Glory, from Glorious Treats!

13. January 17, 2011 at 12:49 am | Permalink

thanks for introducing me to her blog, it’s amazing..
    I do like you both!

January 17, 2011 at 1:20 am | Permalink

@ Maria-Greece: She’s wonderful, great idea!!
    Thanks Maria =)

15. January 18, 2011 at 4:13 am | Permalink

She is amazing! I always love checking out her blog.

16. January 19, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

They are definitely masterpieces! I’m so jealous, I wish I could do that! I’m must continue to practice :)
    I don’t mind who is next..but either way I’m excited for it.

17. Ellen
    February 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for featuring Louise and her site, first time I’ve been to CakeJournal.com, but definitely won’t be the last! :)

18. December 17, 2014 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Can be a leading provider for thousands of products, firms, and companies of impartial evaluations
    and ranks. Our aim, at, will be to present precise and fair
    evaluations which might be representative of the business under consideration. If
    for any purpose you’re not pleased after your session,
    we’ll help you refund your entire purchase or find another teacher.
    LVMPD sgt ofc LUCERO JR DEBRA L WEBB, and T.
    My privileges were broke by DEWEY as well.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sweetopia, Jen (Wong) Stafford. Jen (Wong) Stafford said: Love her site- great job! RT @sweetopia {New Post} Interview with Cake Journal's Louise Dueholm http://fb.me/P5anxZ2Z [...]

2. [...] for sharing Sweetopia and CakeJournal! [...]