Dec 18

Wintery Christmas Cookies

When I’m in the scrapbooking aisle at Michael’s, I’m not looking for a photo album I’m creating, I’m looking for cookie designs.

And in the case of these cookies, this scrapbooking paper was exactly what I was looking for; cute, wintery and easy to make using my KopyKake projector.  (Here’s a link to my KopyKake Projectory Tutorial).

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I am not skilled at drawing.  That’s why having the projector to help me trace the designs, makes a world of difference for me.

You need to learn how to pipe of course, and practice helps too. (For piping tips see Piping Techniques in my Cookie Decorating Tutorial).

I’ll be doing a post on more piping tips soon.  (Maybe even a video).

The cookie below turned into a notepad, using these edible ink markers.

Don’t think you’d like to see the message I wrote to my husband.  ;-)

Have fun baking!

1. December 18, 2010 at 7:24 am | Permalink

These are so cute! I love the little notepad, and hope you do decide to do a video!! :)

2. Penny R
    December 18, 2010 at 7:30 am | Permalink

I did my first piped cookies last week and would love to see a video!

3. December 18, 2010 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Love them, Marian! They are so cute… I’m always looking for COOKIE ideas on scrapbook :D

4. December 18, 2010 at 7:32 am | Permalink

These are the cutest cookies ever

5. Jenn
    December 18, 2010 at 7:32 am | Permalink

I love these, love how you get ideas from scrapbook items. I scrapbook all the time and never thought of that, can’t wait to try it.

6. December 18, 2010 at 7:37 am | Permalink

BRAVO! these are so cute I don’t think I can eat them! :)

7. December 18, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink

These are beautiful! I love your color choices! Great idea to use scrapbook paper as inspiration for the designs! I always love to pull inspiration from other printed pieces too! There are so many amazing patterns out there to pull ideas from while shopping!

8. December 18, 2010 at 8:22 am | Permalink

these are seriously the cutest cookies i’ve seen in my life. amazing!

9. December 18, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Love them all. Also thanks for your post about tips for decorating cookies :)

10. December 18, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Ha Ha! You get inspiration from the scrapbook aisle and I get scrapbook inspiration from everywhere else!! I love that you think outside the ‘cookie’!
    These cookies are too beautiful to eat :-)

Next week we may try to get fancy!

11. December 18, 2010 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, the little boy and girl are the SWEETEST! You’re amazing!

12. December 18, 2010 at 9:04 am | Permalink

You just blew me away. The scrapbooking isle is my bf! You are a fave. Wow! And video, I insist…its not so bad, and you are gorgeous!

13. December 18, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Thanks for leaving me comments!! =)

14. Serene
    December 18, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Super fun winter cookies!! How do you get your cookies to look so sharp? The edge on the cookie looks perfect!
    Serene

15. December 18, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Thanks for the question Serene. I’ll do a post on it with pics in the next week.

16. Andi
    December 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Seriously, Marian, your cookies are so incredibly stunning. I attempted to channel your talent yesterday and used Disco Dust for the first time and, well, my house is now VERY sparkly, especially my kitchen floors! Ooops! I guess I should’ve read your Disco Dust post before, not after…. hahaha

17. linda
    December 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

not only do i adore the images but, your color choices are so sophisticated & “so wintry!”
    you truly inspire!

December 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

@ Andi:
    Heehehehe. Trust me, even when you try to be extremely neat with disco dust, it can still get everywhere!
    My husband went to work once and happened to have just a sparkle of it on his face… He came home and told me how his co-worker had brought it to his attention:
    “Uhh, Dave, you have SPARKLES on your face!?”
    Somehow explaining what it was with the word, “disco dust” didn’t help much. LOL.

19. Rowaida Flayhan
    December 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Amazingly gorgeous love the colors so perfect! Please Marian give online courses! Wish u great success. Xoxo

December 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rowaida and Linda.
    Rowaida, that’s definitely something I’ll think about!

21. Kimmie
    December 18, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Okay just so you know…..I have cookies that need to be made for Boxing Day, ummmm can I say “HELP”! Marian these are absolutely adorable….I will be up on Wednesday :)

22. Cherry
    December 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

So cut, I really like it. Thank you. :)

23. December 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

wow… so cute, I love them all! the girl with the braids is special….just like you.

24. My Three Twins
    December 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Marian, I have purchased several colors of disco dust, as i love your look with them. After trying once or twice, I find that it can be a very expensive option for some sparkle. I follow your tutorial, but find that I never have much to return to the jar. Is it your practice to use quite a bit (ie – several jars) for a few dozen cookies? Am i using it incorrectly or should I accept the expense and appreciate the beautiful cookies?

Thank you!

December 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kimmie, Cherry and Maria!
    @ My Three Twins: Disco dust is pricey for the amount you get (An average of $5.00 for 3 grams). Depending on the size of cookies of course, a few dozen cookies sounds about right. I wish it were a less expensive option, but it’s just so much fun I can’t stop using it!

26. Jenny
    December 19, 2010 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness! These have to be the most adorable cookies ever!

27. December 19, 2010 at 2:10 am | Permalink

They look beautiful! I love the note pad Idea!

Happy holidays to you too!

28. December 19, 2010 at 6:10 am | Permalink

oh my. Too pretty to eat. Almost!

29. December 19, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

C’mon Marian…what was on that note to your husband! LOL Just kidding. All the cookies are beautifully decorated and I love the whimsical designs. You never know when or where inspiration will come from!

30. December 19, 2010 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Your cookies are wonderful!
    Gaby

31. December 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Ha! I would like to see that note! ;)

These are so cute! (As is absolutely EVERYTHING to do!)

32. December 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Wow, those are incredible! Absolutely gorgeous :) !

33. December 20, 2010 at 3:37 am | Permalink

These are amazing, so very adorable and inspiring! THANK YOU!!
    Happy Holidays!!

34. December 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

I just LOVE your cookies, and I admirer your cookie-talent ;)
    I gather a lot of imspiration here on sweetopia – thanks.
    Merry christmas

35. December 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I love everything! But I especially love the notepads. =) Will be looking forward to your video tutorial. =)

36. December 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Truly Amazing. I love the little notepad one! Thanks for sharing!

37. Tara
    December 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Your cookies make my jaw drop. Every. Single. Time.

38. Julieta
    December 21, 2010 at 3:23 am | Permalink

ESPECTACULAR!.
    From Argentina :)

39. Roxanne
    December 21, 2010 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Hey Marian – how did you do their cheeks (the eskimos)? It looks airbrushed.

December 21, 2010 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Hi Roxanne,
      That’s just a bit of pink luster dust dabbed on with a paintbrush used only for luster dust.

40. Stephanie
    December 21, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

omg these are addorable!! when i saw these i was like hmmm i have the paper and chipboard stickers that are from this collection. I do cookies and scrapbooking so if you ever need anymore cute things to get ideas from i have it!

December 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Stephanie! I may email you for theme ideas in the future. Thanks!!

41. December 22, 2010 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Your cookies are fabulous!!! I would love to see a video on piping tips! Happy Holidays!

42. Jen
    December 23, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

I have never seen anything like this ever before in my life! You are extremely talented!!! Amazing!

43. January 15, 2011 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, these are absolutely adorable! Love them!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Jess : )

44. Via
    January 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Love it, love it, & love it …
    They are so cute & gorgeous! You are really inspired me …

45. Giovanna Bascom
    February 1, 2011 at 6:26 am | Permalink

I’m just so amazed with your work! I’m so inspired. I was more of a cupcake person but you make me into a COOKIE person! :)

46. February 1, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Oh goodness those are too cute! I love the little note page cookie! What a cute idea. You have given me so many cute ideas with these. Thanks!!

February 2, 2011 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Thanks for all your comments and input!! =)

48. Nathalie
    March 18, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Hello Marian,

Could you tell me please how you achieve the ‘blushed cheek’ affect? I’m planning to make some cookies for my brother & sister-in-law, they’re having their first child and I would like to decorate a baby’s face.

Thank you!

Nathalie

X X X X

March 27, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Nathalie: It’s so easy! You’ll need a paintbrush used only for that purpose (a fluffier one, if that makes sense), and pink luster dust. Dip your paintbrush in, brush off the excess and dust the pink luster on the DRY royal icing.
    Have fun! xo

50. Sandra
    July 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I absolutely ADORE your cookies! I decorated cookies the other day using your royal icing recipe and they turned out well, thanks to your tips. I’m feeling inspired now! Can you please share the colors that you used for your wintery Christmas cookies (particularly the green, orange, purple and mauve)? They are the cutest cookies I’ve ever seen :)

Thanks!

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sweetopia, Zoey, Callye Alvarado, Sandy Arevalo, Bea Garcia W and others. Bea Garcia W said: Find COOKIE Ideas everywhere!! RT @sweetopia New Post – Wintery Christmas Cookies http://fb.me/GidKxD2N [...]

2. By Christmas Sugar Cookies : Aloha Howdy on December 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm

[...] am an amateur at cookie decorating, but I’ve learned so much from Annie, Bakeat350, and Sweetopia. They are geniuses at cookie decorating, and I am filled with gratitude that they freely share [...]

3. By video: marbled cookies on January 12, 2011 at 4:58 am

[...] is filled with tutorials and tips for cookie decorating success. It is a visual delight to look at both the finished treats (check out the little cuties below!), as well as the steps she took to get there. She has excellent [...]

4. By Amazing Cookies And Cupcakes | Yappiee on September 21, 2011 at 5:14 am

[...] Wintery Christmas Cookies [...]

5. By Božični piškoti 2. « Nalina.si on December 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm

[...] Hello Naomi  |  2. Sweetopia  |  3. [...]

6. By Easy Polar Bear Cookies on January 19, 2013 at 11:31 am

[...] Wintery Christmas Cookies via Sweetopia [...]

7. By Not-So-Thin Mints! - Sweet Bella Roos on October 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

[...] week I’ve been seeing posts about practicing your piping skills… Glorious Treats, Bakerella, Sweetopia… everyone is making adorable Christmas cookies. Not wanting to be left out of the fun, but not [...]