Dec 07

Home Sweet Home

For the last 6 months, my husband and I have been blessed to spend time every weekend with my step-daughter.

She is such a sweetheart, and we’ve been having so much fun with her.

We’ve also been spending lots of time with friends and family.

We’ve even managed to get some baking…

and cookie decorating in.

A child’s natural instinct to lick icing kicks in… ;-)

We’ve renovated her room.

It’s been busy. ;-)

I picked the design (Pottery Barn quilt etc. but got many items on

and Amazon), and helped out with the room but my husband did most of the work.

Everything from the flooring to the Home Depot closet doors,

to the knobs,

and chandelier.

The best part is how much she loves her little space, and her stuffed owl friends, Fred and Apple.

I never knew a nightlight could be so fascinating, but she loves it too.

Still have a few more finishing touches to do; like hanging this picture.  It’s got a little house in the country (like ours), and a grey bunny (like ours)…

Here’s our little grey Lionel under the candy Christmas tree.  (Yes, Lionel the Lionhead bunny).

Speaking of candy Christmas trees; last year Bakerella’s Candyland post was so inspiring I knew I wanted to do a Candy Christmas at our house this year.  I began by doing 2010 Boxing Day Sale shopping for a white Candy Christmas tree.  It’s up, and if you’ve ‘liked’ my facebook page you may have seen a few sneak peek shots I’ve posted of the tree.

I’m working on doing a little Candy Christmas party for my step-daughter, our nephews and our neighbour’s little girls, and am overjoyed that Kim of the TomKat Studio is designing my party printables (if you haven’t seen her gorgeous work, you need to check it out here!).

Do you have any Candy Christmas ideas or have you seen any inspirational ideas on the net or elsewhere?  I’d love to hear your comments, ideas and input below!

1. Ms. DoxieCakes
    December 14, 2010 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Hi There from the snowie Mitten State! I happened acrossed you last week, looking for cookie ideas. Just thought I’d tell you how lucky you are to have such a good helper! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!
    Ms. DoxieCakes & her Gingerbread Wienerdogs :)
    PS: We like your bunny too!

2. December 14, 2010 at 12:56 am | Permalink

So cute (the room AND the stepdaughter!) Love her big blue eyes! I see another cookie maker/decorator in the making. :-)

3. December 14, 2010 at 2:08 am | Permalink

You have a beautiful family !

4. Patricia
    December 14, 2010 at 2:17 am | Permalink

She’s adorable!, she reminded me of a pixie or fairy’s face. She is blessed to have you as her “sweet” step-mom :-) Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays!!!!

5. Cindy T
    December 14, 2010 at 2:38 am | Permalink

What a gorgeous little girl your stepdaughter is! She’ll be decorating cookies as pretty as she is soon!

Your family and home are lovely too.

6. December 14, 2010 at 2:43 am | Permalink

You have an adorable family. :) And your stepdaughter’s bedroom is so cute! I love the chandelier!

7. December 14, 2010 at 2:56 am | Permalink

Thaaaaaaaaaaaank for sharing your home with us. Your gilr’s room is gorgeous I would like to have some like this to my chubby but in this moment I can’t. Besides my flat is really small 60m2. Well step by step, maybe some day.
    Thanks again

8. December 14, 2010 at 3:43 am | Permalink

I usually not the type to leave comments, but today I couldn’t resist. You are a blessed family and your stepdaughter has the most beautiful eyes I have seen in my life!!! God Bless. Her room looks beautiful, you have inspired me to fix my daughter room that way. The chandelier and the wall, the quilt…AWESOME!!

Have a wonderful evening :)

9. December 14, 2010 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Just precious, Marian!! Your stepdaughter looks like an angel… and I have a feeling that she feels very special in her bedroom!! ~~

10. Kimmie
    December 14, 2010 at 4:34 am | Permalink

Perfect!

11. michelle
    December 14, 2010 at 5:11 am | Permalink

hey, Marian

I am so happy for you. Kids are so so much fun and what a beautiful, inquisitive age. I love the welcoming home you have. wishing a great christmas to you and yours.

xox

Michelle

12. December 14, 2010 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Her room is adorable. LOVE the chandelier. Well done! We have lion heads too and they are so cute. Thank you for warming my spirits with this heartfelt post. Happy Holidays!

13. December 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I love that chandelier!

14. Christie R.
    December 15, 2010 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!

What a beautiful family you have! The bedroom is adorbale! Also, I am loving the candyland idea for decorating, I have seen that a lot this year. I was wondering, where did you find the owl nightlight and also the sugarplum candy garland on your tree? Happy Holidays!

December 15, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Christie,
      The sugarplum candy garland was from Canadian Tire (a store which is kind of a cross between Home Depot and Target), and the owl nightlight was from here:

December 15, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Thanks for all the heart-warming comments everyone!

15. December 15, 2010 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Your decorating talents extend way beyond your cookies. Your step-daughter’s room is so lovely and I’m sure she delights in spending time there as she must with you and her Dad.
    She is sweet and I don’t think I’ve seen eyes as big and as blue as hers. She has the perfect smile to go with them.
    Have a wonderful holiday with your family and friends.

16. Julie
    December 15, 2010 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Loved seeing all the pics and reading your blog. Looking forward to spending time together over the holidays. You have so many talents to share with your daughter, she is a blessed little girl to have you in her life.
    Love Julie xo

17. Gordon and Lois Bell
    December 15, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Marian and David: You are a beautiful family! Your daughter is gorgeous! God Bless You all! What a fun Christmas season you are going to have!I loved looking at your pics. Thanks for sharing them.
    Love from Lois and Gordon

18. Shimmering
    December 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Wow! Your daughter looks really cute, and reminds me of an angel. Very sweet family indeed. Wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a Happy new year. Have a warm and happy holidays.

19. December 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Hello, I’m a new follower. I use to do Santa parties when my kids where little.
    One year I did a candy theme. I made 2 Giant canes ~ I went to Lowes Home Improvement store and got 2 carpet rolls empty for free. The center tube the carpet is wound up on (like your wrapping paper tube only BIG). Then I bought 2 dryer vent tubes. I taped the dryer vent tubing to the end of the carpet roll and shaped it to form the curve of a Candy Cane! Then I wrapped the entire thing in candy cane striped foil wrapping paper! Hubby made a base for them to stand in the living room , and I made each cane a different height. They framed Santa’s chair.

I also made giant candies to lay on the floor in the room to make a path leading up to Santa! The kids had a great time!

Good luck!

December 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

Carrie; Wow, wow wow!! It sounds like you did an amazing job on the candy-themed party! Kudos to you for making those giant candy canes =)

21. December 16, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Your stepdaughter is PRECIOUS! She’s like a little Cindy Loo Who. :) Loved seeing you hubby, too! What a sweet family!

The room and the tree? *swoon*

22. Amber
    December 17, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Hi there,
    Just stumbled on your adorable blog…definitely a new favorite. Just have to tell you how adorable your step-daughter is, she reminds me of Cindy Lou Who, so sweet! You are a very talented cookie decorator, can’t wait to see what you dream up next. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Amber

23. January 9, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

@ Patricia:
    She is adorable and would be a shoe-in for Cindy Lou Who!

24. Christie R.
    January 10, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

@ marian:
    Thank you so much! LOVING your site :)

25. January 12, 2011 at 4:22 am | Permalink

oh my goodness, I am an owl fanatic! love this bedroom! I’m 27 and I would love to come home to such a sweet room lol

26. Jamie S
    March 3, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Your step daughter is so cute!!!! Love the big blue eyes, and I see she is looking up to you in decorating cookies =)

27. Rachael
    May 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Can I just say, your step daughter is a real life TINKERBELL!!! Wow! Those eyes!

Not to mention… I want that chandelier!!

28. November 27, 2012 at 5:39 am | Permalink

adorable post ! and your step-daughter is so cute

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sweetopia, The Sugar Tree. The Sugar Tree said: RT @sweetopia: New Post Up {Home Sweet Home} http://fb.me/PANIYFhu [...]