Sep 12

Halloween Gingerbread House

Halloween Gingerbread Facade by you.

Have you heard of Teresa Layman?

None of my friends or family have, that’s for sure, but to the gingerbread enthusiast, the name is usually familiar.

Who exactly is she?

Only the best gingerbread house author out there!  (Kudos to other authors – there’s lots of other gingerbread talent, but Teresa is the queen in my books).  I have every gingerbread book out there I can get my hands on, and no one tops her yet.  Here’s a small sampling of my book collection:

book collection 1 by you.

Oh boy… it’s out… I’m a bit of a cake/cupcake/cookie/gingerbread house book JUNKIE!!!

Ahem.

Back to Teresa… I’ve even written to her and ended up chatting with her on the phone.  If you’re interested you can read about that post right here.

Like I said, a bit of a junkie.

This Halloween Gingerbread ‘House’ (actually really is a gingerbread ‘facade’), is the second project I made from her book, and as a newbie ‘sugar crafter’ back in 2002 I was pretty satisfied with the results.   (Although it’s not as nice as Teresa’s).   I set it near the door for the trick-or-treaters to see when they came for their candy.  The kids seemed to love it!

Ms. Layman describes how to make every step of this Halloween gingerbread project in her book, Gingerbread for All Seasons.  From the perfect gingerbread recipe, to the ghost templates, to the sugar paste pumpkins; she makes it easy.  If I could do it, anyone can!

1. September 12, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Oh, this is wonderful! You did a great job!

2. September 12, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

this is great

3. September 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I have all her books and many of the same books you have in the pix (plus a few more!) on Gingerbread!:D You are sooo right about Ms. Laymen’s books, they are well worth the effort. Might I also recommend the Gingerbread Book by Stephen Stellingwerf (another fave of mine.) Tis the season! :D

4. September 12, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Michelle and Dina; thanks for your comments! Teresa’s version is better though!

Nutmeg; thank you for the recommendation; I do have The Gingerbread Book by Steven as well, and I agree with you, it’s quite good. 2nd best to Teresa in my humble opinion. ;-) I like how he makes gingerbread projects throughout the year – he has some great ideas and meticulous work.
    I’d love to see your collection too!

5. Diane
    September 12, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Marian, that house is Amazing !
    Love it !

6. September 12, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

OMG, I’ve never KNOWN a gingerbread house book junkie! That is WILD (and quirky…! I love a good quirk!). I’m a vegan cookbook junkie myself. Can’t get enough of them, so I kind of understand…. Love the house — wow!

7. September 12, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

lol… I know… definitely different. ;-D Can’t get enough of them though, and in my opinion, there aren’t enough of them out there.
    Vegan cookbooks, interesting… I’ll go check out your site!

8. September 13, 2009 at 5:13 am | Permalink

Wow! You’ve done a wonderful job! Planning on making my first gingerbread house for christmas! I’ll definately have to check out Teresa Layman’s books!

9. September 13, 2009 at 7:32 am | Permalink

I don’t care if it’s a facade! I want to move it!
    You’ve combined three of my favourite things ever…gingerbread, Halloween and haunted houses.
    I love it.

Those books sound amazing!
    I should attempt one!! Very inspirational!

10. September 13, 2009 at 7:33 am | Permalink

@ Melanie: that should read..move in!! I want to move in :)

11. babskitchen
    September 14, 2009 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Wow! You are so talented, Marian! You could definitely win a one of the contests we talked about. How long will that “house” last before drying out? You are inspiring me to try a REALLY simple one for the first time this Christmas.

12. Rylan
    September 14, 2009 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Marian, the gingerbread house looks totally AWESOME!

You just made me realize that gingerbread season is coming soon. Have you ever thought of joining any competitions?

13. September 14, 2009 at 9:13 am | Permalink

babskitchen,

Thanks for the reply! I don’t know about winning any contests though!

How long will a ‘house’ last before drying out? I’m guessing 2 days to a week for sure; obviously the earlier the fresher it will taste. If you’d like to keep it on display, I’d suggest maybe wrapping it in cellophane to keep off dust and help somewhat with air exposure.

We don’t usually eat the ones I make so I’m not sure though, sorry.

If you’d like to keep your house for a reallllly long time, my girlfriend kept hers for a year in a sealed plastic box, and it looked fine the 2nd Christmas. Obviously they didn’t eat it though.

Hope that helps!!

14. September 14, 2009 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Thanks Rylan, your comment got in there while I was writing the last reply. I think I might try a local one we have this year. I’ll keep you posted!

15. September 17, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

That is so adorable!!

16. December 11, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Marissa says that this ic cooooool;)

May 8, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Marian says thank you!! ;-)

18. Jenny H.
    May 23, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Hello Marian!
    Loeve your house! I want to build my first Gingerbread House this year and was wondering if you could recommend one or two books in particular about gingerbread houses (maybe with templates and decorating tips)? I can’t get them in the bookshops here, so have to order online. So tips for a good one would be great! :)
    Also, who’s the author of the “Christmas Cookies” Book in the picture above? Can’t read the name, sorry.

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

Jennyxx

May 23, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Jenny H.: Here are the gingerbread house books I recommend, and my favorites are my Teresa Layman:

The cookie decorating books I like are here:

Have fun!

1. [...] If you’re looking for more Halloween cookie inspiration, check out Sweetopia for spiderweb cookies, stained glass cookies, cute (and only slightly spooky) owl cookies, mask cookies, directions on how to make your royal icing black, and don’t forget the Halloween haunted gingerbread house! [...]