Jun 28

Baby Shower Cookies

yellow t shirtMy girlfriend Shannon has her first baby in the oven… she’s due in August so a friend and I threw her a shower last Saturday.

pink dress

yellow and pink in bag

Shannon already knows that her baby is a girl.  I’m secretly glad… Can you tell I like pink?

duck

white bib

fuzzy background

I tried to add some other colors though.

all cookies

I made the cookies using Peggy Porschen’s sugar cookie and royal icing recipe, and put them in bags.  I think I went a bit overboard…

elephant cutie

Guests got to take more than one cookie home though – I don’t think they minded.

blue and pink

I just wanted to play around with some different themes, like the baby clothing one above and below.  Had to use some of my favorite edible sparkle,***disco dust.  It was easy to make these cookies using scalloped cookie cutters.  I will be doing a little tutorial on the actual making of the cookie dough etc. in the future, but for now, one quick tip for an issue I’ve been asked a lot about; how to make the cookies all the same uniform thickness.  Easy with the right tools!  I use these rolling pin spacer strips Place them on either side of your dough, making sure the rolling pin touches them on each end, and you’ll never roll thinner than you should.  You can choose the thickness of the dough spacer according to how thick you want your cookies to be.  There are also rolling pin rings… I’ll use them in a pinch, but prefer the strips for dough.

yellow dress

green and pink

sparkly 1

green onesie

all sparkly

The cookies below were copied using this clip art:

967468_thumbnail

stork2

Drawing freehand is a lot harder than using this KopyKake Drawing Projector, which I used to trace the design onto the cookie.  I’ll take the time to demonstrate the projector in a future tutorial.

baby carriage

For these I just went with the cookie cutter outline and played around with some simple designs:

pink onesie

ribbon

All the cookies were inspired by these ribbon colors.  I’d love to make cookies inspired by these ones! (click link to see)

polka dots

And some by the design as well!

mini cookies1

mini cookies3

For these wee little cookies..about the size of a quarter, I played around with my own ideas and stuck with easy decorations… dots for flowers mainly!  Gave a bag of them to Becky, who hosted the shower at her house.  (Thank you!)

elephant

I didn’t think the animal cookies would be the most popular at the shower, but they went first!   They were inspired by the gift bag Shannon’s baby shower present was in.

Made some cupcakes as well, and will post them soon!

green and blue

yellow jumper

1. June 28, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

These cookies are adorable!!! You are very talented! I have several family members expecting and I am looking forward to trying out some similar designs! :-)

2. June 28, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

wow, i just LOVE all of these cookies!!! i’ve said it before but i’ll say it again, you have such amazing talent!

3. Diane
    June 28, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Just Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, can you also share what/where bags you use for the cookies ?
    Thanks again!

4. June 28, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Brittany, Asa and Diane!

Diane, I have a link to the bags in the post for you. =) Click on the word bags under the picture of all the cookies together.

5. Nancy
    June 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

OMG Marian, these are adorable! I had no idea that projector thing existed. Your cookies are amazing, as always.

6. RossanaPantaleo
    June 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Beautiful and cute cookies!!!, I’m very interested on learning more about the KopyKake Projector, I would love to make cookies with it. Thanks for always being so generous on showing your tools and secrets ;)

7. June 28, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Beautiful!

8. Kimberly Myers-Schuh
    June 28, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

You have outdone yourself once again! See you soon I hope!

9. Rylan
    June 28, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Omgosh those cookies are so cute. The bib one is my favorite. Where did you get the stands, Marian?

10. June 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

beautiful as always, very creative, it gets better and better… thank’s for sharing….

11. jane
    June 28, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Adorable cookies…looks like it was a shower for 100…amazing!

12. Kerri
    June 28, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

You are brilliant and the cookies are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures – I wish I was having another baby! :) Enjoy your first week of holidays… ah summer!

13. June 29, 2009 at 6:14 am | Permalink

can’t wait for the projecter tutorial. Keep ‘em coming! The disco dust is expensive, do you know of anything similar with the same affect that is cheaper or do you think the disco dust goes a long way for 4 grams?

14. June 29, 2009 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Thanks for the comments; I appreciate them!

Dina, disco dust is my favorite, but have you tried lustre dust? They’re both pricey but they go a long way… I didn’t quite use a third of my disco dust container for the baby shower cookies.

Lustre dust gives a pretty sheen to whatever you paint it on. It’s not quite as obvious as the glitter disco dust gives, but it’s elegant. It’s a powder you mix with a clear extract such as almond extract or you can use a clear alcohol such as vodka. You can also use it as a dry powder to dust on flower petals etc.

There are also petal dusts which have a similar, but less shiny effect. Another option, also less shimmery, would probably be pearl dust. The most inexpensive option would be the Wilton brand, but it’s not my favorite choice for dusts.

A lot of options; hope that’s helped!
    =)

15. June 29, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I LOVE this! So cute, you’ve inspired me to get edible glitter and pastry piping bags! Adorable.

16. June 29, 2009 at 9:26 am | Permalink

They’re the cutest things!!! I love the elephant ones! :)

17. June 29, 2009 at 11:16 am | Permalink

thanks for the response. I do have lustre dust and I will try it.

Can you tell me how to make black royal icing? How much color to icing (ratio) do you need. It seems like you would need quite a bit. Or are you using chocolate for your outlines?

Thanks…so grateful for your advice.

18. June 30, 2009 at 6:24 am | Permalink

@ dina:
    Thanks so much for your comments everyone!! I really appreciate them. =)
    Dina, I don’t use a set amound of black food coloring for my royal icing. I generally just add until I’m happy with the color. I have a pic and have explained in greater detail here.
    Rylan, sorry I just noticed you had asked about the cake stands. I found them on ebay!

19. July 1, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

As usual – these are incredible! You have a real talent, Marian.

20. nikki
    July 14, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian
    I’ve recently stumbled across your blog. WOW you produce some amazing work very inspirational work. Your blog layout is so comprehensive. These cookies are stunning you are very creatve.
    Nikki

21. August 16, 2009 at 7:29 am | Permalink

something worth reading. I plan on a link to this from my site soon Check out my site, about baby shower if you want to know more.,

22. August 16, 2009 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

The bag full of tiny cookies actually made me squeal with glee. Painfully cute!

23. August 18, 2009 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Megan, Nikki, baby shower and Bonnielou; thank you so much!!

24. October 14, 2009 at 7:43 am | Permalink

These look beautiful! Thanks for sharing a few of your secrets. I love the sparkles too!! -Kate

25. Ram
    October 28, 2009 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Marian, what do you use on the black lines on your designs? Is that Royal Icing or drawn by an edible pen? Thanks.

26. kristi
    March 7, 2010 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Marian, I have a baby shower that I am in charge of favors for next month. I love the bag of mini cookies! How many shapes did you include? (I see a onsie, a dress, and a circle – is that all?) And where did you buy such small cutters? SOrry for all the questions, but I would love to know! You are amazing, thanks for all the inspiration! :)

27. March 7, 2010 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Ram, the black lines on the designs are royal icing tinted with gel food coloring.

Kristi, I also used a tiny t-shirt and a mini gingerbread man. I found the cutters years ago on ebay. Don’t remember the seller anymore but doing a search should bring up options for you. (I just did a search using keywords ‘mini onesie cutter’ and an adorable set came up… even a mini baby carriage cutter!)

28. April 19, 2010 at 6:09 am | Permalink

hi,
    Your cookies are amazing.I’m looking ribbons like yours.How can ı find? Can you give me an advise about these subject?
    thanks

29. April 19, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Hi sevcan, no problem. If I don’t find them on the internet (Amazon), a craft store like Michael’s is my next best source.

30. Sharlaine
    April 21, 2010 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Marian,

Any idea when you will have the opportunity to post the KopyKake Drawing Projector tutorial, really want to purchase it but waiting to see how it is used.

Sharlaine

31. April 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Sorry for the delay Sharlaine, midterm reports were due yesterday and I’m working on my sister-in-law’s sister’s cookies (mouthful hahah). I’m slowly working on it though and will hopefully be done soon.

May 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

p.s. It will be ready by the end of May.

33. July 6, 2010 at 9:11 am | Permalink

OMG! I found this site while looking for ideas for my baby shower. Do you make these for others? I would kill for some of your designs.

July 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Nina! I don’t make these as orders as I just don’t have the time, but check out:

She does an awesome job on her cookies!

35. July 7, 2010 at 3:13 am | Permalink

Too bad. They really are amazing. If you ever decide to take orders let me know!

36. Jill
    March 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

hi :)
    your site is very informative and helpful, the cookies are fantastic too! can u perhaps help me with my dilemma? i tried a lot of cookie recipe and i get similar results every time… my cookies are not as thick as yours, even when i shape it thicker it just spreads out…i read somewhere not to add baking soda, some say use half butter half shortening, still didn’t get that nice thickness and clean cut on the sides of my cookies…any suggestion on what i can do? thank u so much for taking the time to read this ^_^

March 15, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Jill,
    That’s right; don’t add baking soda, and the next biggest thing (in my opinion)… make sure you chill the dough/cookies at each stage (make the dough.. chill, cut the shapes out, chill them and then bake).
    Hope that helps =)

38. Amber
    May 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Hey Marian!

I am wondering – how long did it take you to make all of those cookies for the baby shower? I want to know if my cookie-decorating-timing is on par with the best! (and that means you!). xo

June 1, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Hi Amber,
      How did I miss your sweet comment?
      It’s been two years since I’ve done these so I can’t really remember… A long time though! I kind of went crazy and made tons. If i had to guess…
      Oh for sure two days of at least 3 hours of decorating each.
      Sorry it’s not specific… I should do a post about decorating times… although time would change with designs.
      Happy decorating Amber.
      xo

39. EMMA
    April 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

so cute so cute…im having my third girl and i wish i could make my own pastries for my party but i have NO CONTROLL :( x100000

BUT GREAT WORK