Apr 04

Sunflower Cupcakes

sunflower-cupcakes-337x450

Many people have asked how I made these (It is tempting to say each petal was hand carved.. hee hee… naw I would never), but really, they’re easy peasy lemon squeezy to make. As long as you have the right tools. In this case I used the sunflower cutter tool to make the petals and a silicone mold to make the center of the flower.

You can use them with fondant, but I prefer making mine with either all gumpaste or, (more pocketbook friendly), half fondant and half gumpaste.   I did add some white gel color, to brighten up the petals a bit; otherwise they looked somewhat cream colored.   The next time I make some I’ll take pictures and post a wee tutorial, (*Update – Here’s the tutorial), but they really are simple to make. You basically roll out your sugarpaste and use the tool like you would a cookie cutter.

If you like, here’s a video on making the icing swirl too.

Have fun creating!

p.s.  In case you’re wondering I used a #829 star pastry tip to pipe the icing.

1. Kim
    April 4, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

These are so cute! I have the plunger cutters in different sizes -so impressive and shamefully easy! I love the matching frosting colors!

2. Stacy
    April 9, 2009 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing your technique! My first thought when I saw them was… “So pretty – how did she DO that?” And now I know!

3. Marian
    April 9, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

It is easy peasy; thanks for stopping by and have fun creating!

4. April 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

cutest blog in the universe!! I had to post a link on my edible crafts column (hope that’s OK, you can see your post at ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com) and add you to my blog roll (chiccookiekits.blogspot.com). Thanks for sharing! LOVE the design of this blog.

5. April 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Aw shucks Meaghan, thanks :blush: so much for your glowing words! I’m completely honoured that you linked to me; thank you!

6. April 11, 2009 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Wow. What a gorgeous presentation. I saw the picture at foodgawker and had to know how you did it. Great job!
    Michelle

7. April 11, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Thanks so much Michelle!

8. April 14, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cupcakes!

Glad you didn’t individually hand carve each petal 😉

9. Limpy
    May 10, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Love the cupcakes & the raspberry colour frosting is what I have to make for a wedding. Can you tell me what you used to colour the buttercream to get this colour (what brand,liquid or paste?).Also, for the flowers, I have the daisy plunger flower cutter & also the flower centres, but I have not used them yet. What do you use to attach the centres to the flowers? Thanks for all the great tips.

10. May 11, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Sara and Limpy! :blush:

Limpy, I used Americolors orange, yellow, and mauve,
    gel pasteto color the icing and the daisy centers and
    Wilton’s white icing color for the daisy petals.

To ‘glue’ the centers on, I used a dab of royal icing.

Hope that helps!
    🙂 Marian

11. Tracey
    July 7, 2009 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Luv these, the colours are fab!

Could you please tell me what you use to pipe your bc on with? I can not get it looking as good as yours.

Thankyou 🙂
    Tracey

12. July 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks Tracey!
    I use Ateco large star tip #829.

13. Mona Mendoza-Lopez
    July 28, 2009 at 5:57 am | Permalink

hi!
    this one is simply fabulous for me…
    You made the icing very good and clean …
    two thumbs up for this one 🙂

14. Judy
    October 7, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Love your stuff… really beautiful. Could you tell me where you got your cupcake stand?

Thanks.

15. October 8, 2009 at 2:33 am | Permalink

Thanks Judy!
    I got this one at http://www.toonicetoslice.ca/

1. By Fall Favorite Cupcake & Cookie Ideas | Sweetopia on September 22, 2013 at 6:39 pm

[…] Autumn Sunflower Cupcakes […]

2. By How to make gum paste daisies | Sweetopia on October 4, 2016 at 8:43 pm

[…] other examples of these daisies I’ve made in older posts are here and here.  As you’ll see, I tend to like making white petals and colored […]