Apr 08

Royal Icing Butterflies

Blue Butterfly

It seems I like butterflies!  (And pink & brown, judging from the amount of both them on my blog!)  I’ll be posting a tutorial I’ve now posted a tutorial about how I make decorated butterfly cookies soon; everything from the icing recipe I use for best results, to how the icing is applied on the cookie.   They are definitely one of my favorite types of cookies etc. to play around with.

For a ‘how to’ on making these butterfly cookies click on the cookie decorating tutorial – general tips and butterfly cookies here.

Pink n Yellow Flooded Butterfly

These butterflies bled a bit; I was using a recipe made in the cake decorating class I was taking where we worked on flooding techniques.  I’ve finally figured out that to have less bleeding happening (colors seeping into eachother), I have to make my icing less runny and it helps to use the Americolor soft gel colorings .

1. April 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Your Royal Icing butterfly is GORGEOUS!!! Love, LOVE it!!!I can’t wait to see your tutorial!!!
    Donatella

2. Corynn
    April 8, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Very nice!

3. April 9, 2009 at 1:21 am | Permalink

they are so beautiful and i can’t wait to see how you did them! i love your blog btw, so cute! :P

4. Cindy
    April 9, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

YAY…..I’m so excited… Ilove your butterflies! They are so beautiful!!!

5. Marian
    April 9, 2009 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

:blush: Thanks for your comments! I’ll try and get that tutorial up soon.

6. April 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

beautifulllll………..waiting the tutorial :) ))))

7. Crystal
    May 26, 2009 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Love these cookies. They are so cute. I am just getting started on the cookie making side of things and cannot wait on the tutorial.

8. Jessica
    August 28, 2009 at 5:44 am | Permalink

This is absolutely gorgeous. I would like try something like this for my cake and have been trying to locate the tutorial that several posts have been referring to but can’t seem to find it. Is it up yet?

9. August 28, 2009 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Thanks Jessica!
    It’s up; it’s in the tutorial section under, Cookie Decorating Tutorial – General Tips and Butterfly Cookies.

All you have to do is pipe your butterflies on parchment paper instead of on the cookie.
    Good luck!

10. Enid
    December 3, 2009 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Hello,greetings from China.
    The butterflies are so nice.

11. sera
    February 10, 2010 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I love the colour flow butterflies.I would like to know how to make the wings stand up?..

12. February 10, 2010 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Hello, greetings from Sri Lanka.. Love the butterflies. But I cant get the wings to stand up. Any idea how to do it?

13. February 10, 2010 at 9:15 am | Permalink

No problem.

*Pipe the wings separately.

*Take a small piece of cardboard, fold it in half, put parchment paper on it (fold that in half too)

*Rest the folded cardboard in between something so that it stands up (doesn’t flop over to the side)

*Pipe the center ‘body’ of the butterfly in royal icing on the crack of the folded cardboard and rest the dry wings in either side of the body… they will adhere and dry right to it.

It’s kind of hard to explain without pictures but, hope that helps!

1. [...] icing runs or spreads into another.  Take a look at these flood work butterflies as an example here; you can see the brown starting to diffuse into the light [...]

2. There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all….

Death does not surprise a wise man, He is always ready to leave….

3. [...] runs or spreads into another.  Take a look at these flood work butterflies as an example here; you can see the brown starting to diffuse into the light [...]