Apr 11

Rose Cupcakes

rose-cupcakes-363x450

I had fun making these for Valerie’s bridal shower.  The darker roses are made of fondant and the lighter ones of gum paste. The leaves were shamefully easy to make using fondant and this leaf cutter. If you’ve read any of my cupcake/cookie postings, you’ve probably seen me mention this before, but I have to credit Peggy Porschen again… I used her method of making roses from her book, Romantic Cakes.I’ve made my petals a bit thicker and the roses smaller, and although my flowers are not nearly as good as hers, the instructions were easy to follow for someone like me who mostly has experience in decorating cookies.

1. April 11, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

These are sooo pretty! They look fantastic!

2. April 11, 2009 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Marian,
    they are so sweet!! So delicate! Love the colours and your swirls!

Donatella

3. April 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! I love the roses.

4. April 12, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Thank you thank you Melanie, Donatella and Ellie! (Mellie, Donatellie, and Ellie… hee hee… Sorry). ^_^

5. April 13, 2009 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Wow. These cupcakes are beautiful. I’ve never even tried my hand at sugar art, but I’m in awe of it. I can’t wait to browse through the rest of your blog!
    Michelle

6. April 13, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

they are so stunning and your swirls are perfect! how do you get your frosting so white? mine always turns out a yellowish color…

7. April 13, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

thanks! i dunno about perfect though! :blush: This one isn’t a real buttercream; if i need to use white, i go with a frosting recipe instead. even if you add a white food gel coloring to real buttercream, you can still see the creamy buttery goodness!

8. April 20, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

love these, Marian! wish we could meet up and do some fun cake things together!!

9. April 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

^_^ Me too Cindy! We’re just gonna have to arrange something aren’t we!

10. April 22, 2009 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Hi there just thought I would let you know I found your article on bloglines and you might be interested to know that Peggy Porschen has announced some new masterclasses – coming soon. We have published the details of the masterclasses this week.

11. Maria
    April 23, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

:love: Beautiful cup cakes! Lovely stuff here! Wow! 🙂 getting hungry here. 🙂 :love:

12. Stylzies
    September 21, 2009 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Everything on your website is absolutely perfect!!! Your cookies are the best i have ever seen and your cupcakes are awesome.
    Just wanted to ask what type of buttercream you use?? Is it just a typical butter/shortening and powdered sugar one or is it a fancy one like Swiss or French or Italian Meringue buttercream?

13. September 21, 2009 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the comments Surrey Wedding Photographer and Maria!

Thanks as well Stylzies! For these I used Peggy Porschen’s buttercream recipe; it’s not exactly Swiss or Italian butterceam (there’s no heat source involved), but she does use real butter and icing sugar. Sorry I won’t post the recipe due to copyrights! Thanks for asking and visiting my blog!

May 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

p.s. Have you tried Martha Stewart’s swiss buttercream recipe Stylzies; it works well and tastes good!

15. July 1, 2010 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Loved your rose cupcakes so much we have included them in our 50 Wedding cupcake blog post feature on http://www.partycupcakes.com

1. By Sweetopia » How to make gum paste leaves on August 24, 2009 at 5:21 am

[…] few more gum paste leaf pics can be found on older posts here, and […]

2. […] Roses are Red, Pink, Yellow… Sweetopia Well actually your roses can be whatever color you decide when making them for the top of a wedding […]

3. By How to make gum paste leaves | Sweetopia on November 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm